Sunday, June 2, 2013

Rim 2rim & a 24th birthday

I had a superb 24th birthday!

First, my parents had a dinner for me while I was in town last week and gave me a huge, darling chalkboard for my kitchen, and I got my bi-annual ham from my grandparents.

My in-laws do the rim-to-rim hike in the Grand Canyon every couple of years and I have always really wanted to do it. I was bummed leaving Cal, but life is only going to get busier and Dal was able to watch him for the couple of days. 

We woke up at 3 in the morning on Friday to drive to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, then started our hike around 6:30. This scenery during this entire hike was so breathtaking. I felt like I was in a painting. Up until phantom ranch (the first 14 miles), I was basically skipping the whole time. I loved it so much. The hike is 7 miles downhill, 7 miles of basically flat until phantom ranch, then 9 miles uphill at the end. I hit a wall after phantom ranch and struggled for a few miles... it was super hot and I didn't feel great. I got a second wind with about 4 miles left and really enjoyed the end, which is strange because the switchbacks were killer. I thought that it was harder than a marathon, but also much more fun. It was the coolest hike I have ever done and am so glad that I got to go. 

We had quite the experience at the south rim when we finished... more on that later. Afterwards we got pizza and slept in a hotel.

My birthday was the next day. I felt bad that I didn't get to see my boys when I woke up, but we drove home and I had a lovely reunion with them. I opened a few presents, then went to Pasta Factory with the Mitchells. 

Laursie and I at the top of the north rim


The whole crew



























with my birthday cake & my boy

Birthday lunch with my favorite Vegas ladies

No comments:

Post a Comment