Thursday, January 30, 2014

That one time when I was rear ended twice in 5 minutes

Earlier today I was driving home from a playground with friends. I was at a stoplight when the car in front of me did not notice that the light turned green, so they didn't start going for a second. The person behind me saw the green light and started moving, rear-ending me. It wasn't too hard… it mostly just scared me. Things like this are 100 times more frightening with your baby in the car. I pulled over to the side of the road, with her following suite and parking about 20 feet behind me. She had 2 kids in the car and was extremely apologetic. I felt bad for her and understood how that could have happened. I was very nice, but took her information because there was a tiny scratch on the car. I wasn't totally sure that I was going to even call on it because she was so sorry and the scratch was pretty small. I got back in my car and turned around to buckle Cal in. I had him halfway buckled when my phone buzzed, so I turned to face forward in my driver's seat so that I could check it. Just then, the lady started to leave. Since she parked 20 feet behind me she was able to get going kind of fast before rear-ending me AGAIN! This one was significantly harder. I hit my face on the steering wheel and Cal immediately started screaming. I was extremely freaked out… Calvin was not even all the way buckled yet! I got out of my car and started yelling at her. It was the first time of my life ever yelling at anyone, and I am not super proud of it. I think it must have been the mama bear in me or something. My rage turned into tears and I apologized for being unkind to her. She basically dismissed it, sort of apologized, stated that I already had her info, then drove away. 

Turns out that she gave me mostly wrong information… I am not sure if she did that on purpose or not. It was a good thing that I wrote down her license plate number.

Moral of this story- I am thankful for my safety and, more importantly, my little baby's safety. Instead of doing the 100 things I should have been doing during his nap when we got home I just watched him sleep. And I don't regret it one bit.

2 comments:

  1. OOHHH MY GOOOSSSHHH-- THE SAME LADY!?! AND wrong information?? You have GOT to be kidding me!! What a biznatch. I'm so glad you got her license plate/car info too! Def. call. She deserves it.
    She had 2 kids in the car!! That's infuriating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. Getting rear-ended by impatient and careless drivers is just the worst. I don't even know why that lady was so careless when she had two of her kids inside the car with her. Plus, I can't believe she gave you the wrong information. Anyway, I hope that incident taught her a lesson or two because if it didn't, then we're all doomed. Thanks for sharing that! Take care always!

    Ann Taylor @ Hofmann Law Office

    ReplyDelete